The best part about winter in Hastings County, is that we actually have snow! It doesn't matter what outdoor or winter activity you are into, there is something for everyone. AND if you share your experiences on social media, be sure to use the hashtag #RememberWinter and share your photos to be entered into Ontario's Highlands winter photo contest.
Are you an avid snowmobiler? For a vast network of multi-use trails, perfect for snowmobiling, visit Eastern Ontario Trails Alliance. Our local OFSCs include:
And for those downhill skiers or snowboarders, Batawa Ski Hill has excellent hills for any level. The resort features nine runs, including a terrain park, day and night.
Looking for snowshoeing & cross-country skiing trails? Hastings County is home to several trails that offer pathways perfect for snowshoeing and some are even groomed for cross-country skiers.
Now when it comes to winter, it's not always about the snow - there is so much fun when it comes to the ice! Looking for great places to go skating, both indoors and outdoors?
- Queensborough Mill Pond (outdoor)
- Stoco Lake in Tweed (outdoor)
- Stirling Mill Pond (outdoor)
- Public Skating at the Dr. Hamilton Crawford Memorial Community Centre in Marmora (indoor)
Are you an avid fisherman who loves to go ice-fishing? Here are some great locations to drop a line:
- Black Crappie fishing is superb on Stoco Lake (Tweed)
- Crowe Lake (Marmora)
If you are new to fishing and looking to give it a try, click here to learn about fishing and the required licensing.
There are also winter fun events taking place across Hastings County, including:
- Marmora SnoFest (All day Saturday, January 31) in Marmora. Drawing on the adventurous tradition of sled dog racing, Marmora SnoFest has been celebrating a love of dogs, sport and community for over 36 years. SnoFest continues to be a destination for stellar sled dog racing and skijoring, attracting world-class competitors from Canada and beyond, and offers programming (such as talent shows, chainsaw carving, weight pulls, bonfires and more) to entertain the whole family.
- For the Love of Hockey (All day Saturday, February 14) at the Bancroft Eatery & Brew Pub in Bancroft. It's an event where Valentine's Day meets Hockey Day in Canada! The event features the 5th Annual Street Hockey Game on Hastings Street along with free hot dogs and juice. Plus games and movies by Hospice at the Village Playhouse. The Bancroft Eatery & Brew Pub is offering its famous prime rib special dinner, and have a date night at the Village Playhouse featuring the classic hockey love story "Goon" (this is an age of Majority event - Tickets $10).
- Winter Family Fun Day (Monday, February 16) at the O'Hara Mill Homestead & Conservation Area in Madoc from 11AM to 3PM. There will be snowman building, storytelling, skating, games, dog sledding, wagon rides, live music, treats and more! Admission is by donation.
- Maynooth Winter Farmers Market (Sat. February 14, Sat. March 14 and Sat. April 18) at the Hastings Highlands Community Centre 33011 Hwy 62 in Maynooth. The market is open from 10AM to 4PM in the Hastings Highlands gymnasium.
For more information on winter fun activities, visit Ontario's Highlands.